MillionaireMatch.com - the best millionaire dating site for sexy, successful singles!
(Pocket-lint) – One of the most powerful features that Alexa offers is Routines. Routines are the special sauce that make different devices work together, allowing you to custom control your smart home.
Routines will let you setup a whole range of actions and reactions based around anything you have that’s compatible with the Alexa ecosystem. Routines will let you setup custom voice commands, Routines can give custom responses to an action, Routines can let you control smart home devices from different manufacturers, exactly how you want them too.
That means you can have Alexa give you information when you say Good Morning, you can have your Hue lights turn on when your Ring Doorbell detects motion, the list is endless.
Controlled via the Alexa app, they are really easy to create, and you can also share them with other Alexa users if you want to.
How to create an Alexa Routine
To create a Routine, follow these steps:
- Open the Alexa app.
- Go to the menu and select Routines.
- Select the + icon in the top right corner.
- Select When This Happens, and then choose how to trigger the Routine.
- For smart home Routines, select smart home and then your installed device or sensor.
- Then select any options, for example “detects motion”.
- Add action, and then choose which action it completes.
- To receive a notification from a motion or contact sensor, select Messaging > Send notification.
- To trigger another smart home device, got to smart home again and choose what you want, for example to turn on a light.
- If you want an Echo to do something you’ll get a From option where you can select a device to perform the action.
- Tap Save.
Note: To change or delete a Routine, go to the Routines section in the Alexa app. Choose a Routine listed in the Enabled section to make your changes.
How to share an Alexa Routine
To share a Routine, follow these steps:
- Go to Routines in the Alexa app.
- Select the Routine you want to share.
- Tap on the menu top right.
- Click Share Routine.
- Send the Routine by text, email, or social media.
How to set up a shared Alexa Routine
To use a shared Routine, follow these steps:
- Click the shared URL link on your mobile device.
- Follow the on-screen instructions in your Alexa app.
- Look for options in yellow text, which shows more fields to complete setup.
Try these shared Routines from Amazon
Amazon shared a few Routines that you can start using now:
Put your feet up and enjoy the romance of Valentines Day with Robot Vacuums starting at $199.99
Find out why a robot vacuum from Roborock could be the perfect choice this Valentine’s Day.
Want to know more?
Amazon has an Alexa Routine help page here. For even more about Alexa Routines, see our guides:
Writing by Maggie Tillman. Editing by Chris Hall.